10 of the many ways we scrimp at home, we live by the phrase ‘Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves’.
You might think some of these are a little extreme but they all only take a second to do and if you worked it out (we haven’t) over say 1-5 years it should save you enough for a meal out or a couple of beers etc.
- Use the correct amount of toothpaste each time, squeeze the very last bit out and then cut open to scrap the last bit out
- Mixing water + ‘empty’ shampoo/shower gel bottle to get the last bit out
- Adding splash of water to any ’empty’ tinned food to get the last bit out (ideal for sauces etc)
- OK, not always… honest! Licking your plate to not waste a drop + helps with the washing up
- Write on old envelopes/scraps to save paper
- When finished with the oven/dishwasher leave the doors open to heat the house
- Hang clothes up in the shower room to ‘steam’ the creases out
- When waiting for hot water at the sink, have an oven proof container ready to collect this normally wasted water. Next time you’ve finished with your oven place the dish inside and you will have hot/warm water for washing up. Or just use it to water the plants etc.
- Scrape pots & pans to avoid wasting food
- Swap magazines with friends/family. Ideal if you both subscribe to different magazines.