Great with kids as well as adults – You basically download an app that gives you clues (& rough GPS info) to locations of hidden ‘treasure’ near you, you then hunt for the treasure container and ideally place something of interest inside, sign and date a book/piece of paper. You can also setup the ‘treasure’ spots and then check the website to see if anyone else has visited.
The beauty of this game is it can be played everywhere and it’s great for all ages, just remember to always put the cache/treasure back as you found it and ideally with something new inside it.
What do I need to play?
- A phone or GPS device
- Access to https://www.geocaching.com/play
- Pen/Pencil – To write in the cache boxes
- Plenty of time
- Optional – Small trinkets/toys (ideal for junior/young players). The idea is to swap these with items found inside the cache.
A few things extra to buy to make it better
- Some cheap vials to hide things in
- Waterproof Pill Boxes
- Dry Storage Box (ideal if you want to start a new cache)
- Waterproof phone container (ideal for wet days/kids that are likely to drop phones)
- Travel Bugs (learn more on here)