Shipping large water diluted products across the country is not only bad for the environment but it will also cost you more in shipping fees or your own travel costs, a far better method is to buy these 10 products in their fully concentrated form and dilute at home with water from the tap.
The potential benefits:
- Less plastic waste = Less cost to your local council, meaning more of your tax is spent on useful/enjoyable things + lower CO2 footprint
- Less cost to you as a consumer, a product that might cost you £2 per 1-litre bottle at the supermarket can cost just 4p
- Less travel costs for you (albeit these will typically be hard to quantify but over your lifetime that would add up)
- Shipping large water diluted products across the country costs retailers more money, meaning their prices increase + the CO2 footprint is massively reduced with concentrated products
- You will likely have a large reserve of product at home, meaning you’re less likely to run out when you need it the most (this also will prevent you from rushing to a corner shop etc to buy it at inflated prices)
- Potentially improved ‘commercial grade’ products, vs the potentially inferior consumer supermarket friendly versions
- You will spend less time ordering products
- Less storage space in your home meaning you’re not paying a mortgage/rent to store products in bulk
- Less lorries on the road
- Saves you carrying heavy diluted products home from the shops
The Potential Negatives:
- More time spent decanting and measuring the products out (in some cases)
Each pack is the equivalent of 120 litres of diluted washer fluid, which is massive, this product is also good to be used as a kitchen cleaner, home window cleaner, tile cleaner etc.
2) Spray cleaning products
Make your own glass, bathroom and surface cleaner from water + toxic-free concentrated cleaning tablets (that are sent in the post using no plastic).
3) Orange Squash
Each one of these extra concentrated drinks mixers is the equivalent of a 1-litre bottle of Orange Squash (concentrate) or the equivalent of 5 litres of drink once mixed with water! These are a no brainer when it comes to plastic waste and shipping water around the country for no real reason.
4) Weed Killer
1 sachet treats 60m2 of space, the whole pack is the equivalent of 12 litres of weed killer liquid. Kills the weed and its roots.
5) Toilet Bowl Cleaners
Unlike the various toilet cleaner liquids you can buy at the supermarkets these are just dropped into the toilet and left for 30 minutes or better still overnight.
6) Coffee Machine Cleaning Fluid
1 tablet = 500ml of solution, so 1 whole pack is the equivalent of 4 litres of coffee machine cleaning liquid.
7) Vitamin C Drinks
4 months supply for less than £10, which will make 30 litres of drink! Simply drop one tablet into a glass of water and wait for it to fizz and dissolve.
8) Mould, Lichen and Algae Killer
One 5L bottle makes 30L of product! It can be used on all services to remove discolouration from mould, algae etc. It’s also useful on car lights that might gather mould around the edges.
9) All-purpose household cleaner
Dilute 60ml to 5 litres of water, ideal for mopping or just as a general household cleaner. Dissolves grease & grime leaving surfaces sparkling clean. Smells like lemons.
10) Fabric Conditioner
Plant-based and mineral ingredients in 100% recycled bottles, meaning biodegradable cleaning without excessive plastic bottles. Naturally softens and freshens your laundry, makes ironing easier and enough for 166 washes.