Is it just us that is driven insane by these obvious fake competitions that pop up every week?
Key facts to remember:
- Any Facebook page that is asking for you to share a post to gain entry to a competition is directly breaking Facebook guidelines so will eventually get blocked/banned, not something a large corporation is likely to want to do!
- If a company was really doing this it would be all over the news / we would probably post about it
- If the page has only got a few recent photos then it’s very suspect + check when the page was made (often that day).
- If it sounds too good to be true, it is (unless someone like 10ways post it & even then you should double check)
- Read the post again, would a company like Virgin really give free tickets to random people? Surely something like “We’re giving away flights to 500 lucky frequent flyers” sounds more plausible?
So why do these scammers do it?
They’re not taking peoples money or identities. It’s simple, a quick name change to ‘best holiday deals’ and all of a sudden they have a page with 35,000 likes that they can scam someone into buying for a ‘few’ quid.
Want to learn about some other ways companies trick you?
Thanks to those of you who messaged us about these.2 comments