Must read if travelling to the USA? Guy gets denied entry and forced to pay £500

Must read if travelling to the USA? Guy gets denied entry and forced to pay £500

Vic Ryan went on holiday with his family to Florida but when they arrived at the airport to check-in he was denied his boarding pass because of a recent change to the Visa Waiver Programme in the US.     one of those to be caught out by the change.

Basically, on April 1st 2016 everyone entering the US must have an e-Passport under the Visa Waiver Programme (allowing UK citizens up to 90 days in the US).

Vic shared this post on Facebook to spread awareness:


Eventually, Vic was able to board a flight to the US but not until May 4, several days after his family left and after spending £500 changing flights.

How do I know if I’ve got an e-Passport?

e-Passports carry the internationally recognised camera symbol on their front.


A spokeswoman for Thomson said:

‘We’re sorry to hear that a small number of customers have been unclear on the passport and visa guidelines for entry into the United States of America. Under the US government guidelines anyone travelling after 1st April 2016 requires an electronic passport.

‘In line with these guidelines, customers are asked to read about and obtain relevant documentation that meets the entry requirements. We also advise customers it’s their responsibility to check the passport, visa and health requirements for their holiday destination on the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

‘However, given this is a recent change and to help customers, we will review if we can highlight the requirement of an electronic passport on relevant customer communications.’

You may also like:

1 comment

Be a financial rockstar and share this with your friends, family and co-workers to maximise savings:

More posts:

Important things to remember with everything we post:

  • If you earn over your personal allowance (currently £12,570 a year) HMRC need to get their % cut (even if the money is in cash or from another country)
  • If you’re working for yourself / earning an income on the side you need to let HMRC know – There are numerous benefits but also some drawbacks
  • You need to always ensure whatever you’re doing is legal and not hurting anyone else – be careful and always think twice
  • Some income streams may require you to have DBS check, licence, insurance or qualifications before you can start to profit from it, do your research.
  • Be careful that any additional income doesn’t compromise your studies or main income/job
  • If you work for a company check your contract, if you don’t inform them you’re working on other side projects outside of work they may have grounds to ownership on this work

Most popular this month

More 10ways posts:

Legendary Deals:

Remember to follow us!