Batteries are known for chemicals inside but we never realised they could be so dangerous, this poor 2 year old died after swallowing a tiny watch style battery.
Brianna’s grandfather, Kent Vice, told Oklahoma newspaper Tulsa World:
On Saturday she was fine. It was a perfect Christmas.’
They operated on her for two and a half hours, but they couldn’t stop the bleeding.
‘They believed the battery (acid) ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus… We had no idea when she swallowed it .’
I want to keep these things [batteries] out of houses. They are dangerous.’
The family have setup a fundraising page for those interested in helping.
But why are batteries bad for you?
Lead acid batteries > Obviously extremely bad for you
Alkaline batteries > Acid gel or alkali gel corrodes soft tissue in your mouth and gullet and stomach lining or it gets stuck in your body
Rechargeable batteries > Often contain nickel or cadmium or even mercury which all are extremely bad for you!
It is thought Brianna had swallowed the battery at some point in the six days before her death however eating a battery generally means a long and painful death by some combination of metal poisoning or chemical burns.
Never risk it. If you think it has happened then rush to A&E for a stomach pump / Xray.