We’re big fans of Amazon Prime, as we’ve always felt the delivery portion alone makes it worthwhile, let alone when you factor in the other benefits, however, overnight Amazon emailed all Prime customers informing them that:
As of 15 September 2022, the price of the monthly Prime membership will increase from £7.99 to £8.99, and the price of the annual Prime membership will increase from £79 to £95 [the first increase for Prime membership since 2014!]
Student membership will increase from £3.99 to £4.49, and the price of the annual Prime Student membership will increase from £39.00 to £47.49.
How do I get around the price increase?
- Split the cost of Prime membership with others in your household and then share your Prime benefits
- Renew before September 15th 2022 to lock in the £79 price for a further 12 months
- Simply cancel Prime, stop the auto-renewal or setup alerts to remind you 3 days prior to auto-renewal; you still (for now at least) get free delivery on £20+ spends and there are tools like our Amazon Bargain Finder & Amazon £20 Filler Tool which massively helps you get over that £20 threshold, just enter your basket value and we will find you cheap (and useful) items to get you over the £20 mark.
- Take advantage of all the benefits of Prime; you may be surprised at what is actually included:
- Prime Music (2 million songs, ad-free, included with Prime) and Prime Music Unlimited (£1 saving for Prime)
- First Reads (1 free Kindle book of the six Editors’ Picks each month and others for 99p).
- Prime Household (share benefits with others)
- Prime Reading (Prime Reading gives you unlimited access on any device to more than a thousand eBooks, popular magazines, comics, books with Audible narration)
- Exclusive Prime Deals
- Amazon Prime Video (thousands of TV and Movies) all included at no extra cost
- Amazon Originals
- Amazon Prime Sports (e.g. Watch Back Popular Games, Superb Sports Documentaries and Live Sports including exclusive rights to Premier League fixtures)
- Prime Gaming (Get bonus game content every month, a Twitch Channel subscription every month, and more.)
- Get 30-minute early access to Lightning Deals on Amazon UK
- Same-day grocery delivery from Amazon Fresh and Morrisons
- Try Before you Buy on up to 6 items of clothing
- Prime Photos (Unlimited Photo Storage included with Prime at no extra cost)
- Same day shipping (Order by noon and get it before bedtime, seven days a week)
- Unlimited Premium Delivery on Millions of items
- Prime Day Deal Savings
- See how many Prime Deliveries you’ve had in the last 12 months here
- If you’ve not tried Prime before remember, they still offer 30 day free trials of Prime.
- Remember students get Prime for 50% off + a 6 month free trial
An Amazon Spokesperson told ITV:
“Prime offers the best of shopping and entertainment, and continues to improve each year.
“We have increased the number of products available with fast, unlimited Prime delivery, recently added ultra-fast fresh grocery delivery, and have significantly expanded our high-quality digital entertainment, including TV, movies, music, games, and books.
“With increased inflation and operating costs in the UK continuing to rise, we will change the price of Prime.”
The full email from Amazon:
Dear Prime Member,
Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime. We are writing to you about an upcoming change to your membership.
As of 15 September 2022, the price of the monthly Prime membership will increase from £7.99 to £8.99, and the price of the annual Prime membership will increase from £79 to £95. The new price will apply to renewals starting 15 September 2022. You can view your next renewal date, manage, or cancel your membership by visiting your account.
We continue to focus on making Prime even more valuable for members. This is the first time we have changed the price of Prime in the UK since 2014. During this time, we have significantly increased the number of products available with unlimited, fast Prime delivery; added and expanded ultra-fast fresh grocery delivery; and added more high-quality digital entertainment, including TV, movies, music, games, and books. Prime Video in particular has increased the number of TV series and movies on offer, including Amazon Originals, as well as live sports coverage, such as the Premier League and Autumn Nations Series.
Your Amazon Prime Team