Since the 2006 launch, McDonalds Monopoly has gone from a cult-like incentive to a mainstream calendar event, this year most likely will be no different with it set to launch on 6th September 2023 but in this post, we talk about:
- the dynamics
- how to improve your chances of winning
- all the prizes
- the rare pieces
- some statistics about previous years (including the number of prizes Vs winners)
- a reminder that the whole thing is just a marketing ploy
- and a further reminder that the main prizes were cut in 2018 and most likely will be again this year.
Normally the gaming period is roughly 41 days so you can play for the whole of September and a bit of October (in 2022 it ends 18th October)
What are the rare pieces for 2023?
NOW CONFIRMED FOR 2023
Old Kent Road – McDonald’s medium extra value meal – (2,100,000 available)
Euston Road – Wireless Earbuds (3150 available)
Northumberland Avenue – Experience Day (3200 available)
Marlborough Street – £500 Home Entertainment Voucher (205 available)
Liverpool Street Station – £200 Cash – (2010 available)
Strand – Omen by HP Gaming Laptop (110 available)
Coventry Street – £2,000 Holiday (80 available)
Bond Street – A MINI Electric car (21 available)
Mayfair – £100,000 cash – (4 available)
Do the top prizes ever get claimed?
In 2018 of the 50,000,000 prizes available (of which 125,300 were non-food prizes) only 8,006,175 were claimed1, further 10ways analysis indicates:
- Of the 4 x £100,000 cash prizes only 3 were claimed by customers.
- Of 20 Mini Cooper cars 6 were claimed
- Of 4 £100,000 prizes 3 were claimed
- Both £25,000 prizes were claimed
- Of 20 Universal Holidays, only 1 was claimed!
- For comparison, 11,000,000 apple pies (£0.99) were available in 2018!
So it would seem most people seem to focus on the top prize but forget about the other prizes!
McDonald’s normally have a webpage that shows who is winning the prizes, we will have to see if this year the same happens.
So we asked 10ways users if they had ever bagged a big prize and this is what a few said:
How many people play each year?
Over 12 million active participants in 2019 alone. This means 1 winner every 2 minutes.
Isn’t it just a marketing ploy to get us all eating more junk food?
Of course, but it works and McDonald’s know that. It may appear that it’s all about increasing sales in the month of April but it’s far more than that, they want your contact info (e.g. your email) so they can target you for the rest of the year! For the past 10 years prior to 2018 McDonalds have commercially annual success, beating commercial targets for 12 years running! 2016 and 2017 resulted in the highest ever footfall across McDonald’s restaurants, with a 159% increase in positive sentiment about MONOPOLY
What has changed for 2023?
Each year since 2018 the prizes have reduced we suspect the same will happen this year (it’s a fairly greedy massive corporation after all), for instance, the number of holidays in 2018 was reduced from 200 to 20 and they also went from 500 to 400 games consoles. We suspect there will be a further push to take things online this year, like in 2018/19. In 2023 they’ve increased the number of Mayfair tickets by 1, added 1 extra Electric Mini, increased the earbuds from 1650 to 3150 and swapped £250 SeeTickets to £200 in cash and increased the numbers from 510 to 2010 winners!
How can I maximise my chances?
- Look down… People will often drop their instant win or items on the floor (both in the queue, eating and car park areas)
- Use an alias/secondary email address
- You already have a high 1 in 3 chance of winning something, the issue is they design the game to be like this, to increase the need for you to share your positive experience with others. The real question is whether those prizes are worth the money you just spent on the original items!
- Don’t buy a big mac or chicken nuggets (these are normally excluded)
- Consider buying some of the other stickers (if you have a rare one)
- Look out for normal vouchers on parking tickets etc to claim free/discounted food
- Consider using UberEats discounts, we normally post these on our deals pages (Instagram | Facebook | Twitter)
How do I play?
There are normally four ways to win:
- Instant Win – peel and reveal one of millions of prizes up for grabs instantly
- Collect to Win – collect and complete property sets to win an even bigger prize
- Online Win – all the pieces have a unique nine digit code which can be entered online at http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/monopoly
- Spares – turn any 10 property combinations into a new prize
What stickers do I get with what purchase?
This is old data
You will get a sticker (or multiple) on the following:
- Any cold drink
- Big Tasty
- Big Tasty with Bacon
- Big Flavour Wraps
- The Spicy Veggie Wrap
- 6 Spicy Chicken Nuggets
- 9 Spicy Chicken McNuggets
- 20 Spicy Chicken McNuggets Sharebox
- 3 Chicken selects
- 5 Chicken Selects
- Chicken Legend
- Cheese Sharebox
- Mozzarella Dippers
- McDonald’s Premium Salad
Using old data, cannot confirm yet:
Triple (3 Stickers) or Double (2 Stickers):
- Medium Fries Double
- Large Fries Triple
- Medium Carbonated Soft Drink Double
- Large Carbonated Soft Drink Triple
- Premium Salad (excluding Shaker Side Salad) Triple
- Chicken Legend® Triple
- Chicken Legend® – with Bacon **Triple
- Chicken Selects® – 3 or 5 Pieces Triple
- Big Tasty® * Triple
- Big Tasty® with Bacon* Triple
- The BBQ, The Classic or The Spicy from The Signature Collection **Triple
- Cadbury Creme Egg or Cadbury Caramel McFlurry® Double
- Mozzarella Dippers Double
- Big Flavour Wrap Triple
- Regular Iced Frappé/Iced Fruit Smoothie Double
- Large Iced Frappé/Iced Fruit Smoothie Triple
- Shaker Side Salads, medium or large hot drinks or drinks served in a bottle or carton Double on Medium or Triple of Large Meal
Do you know what we can guarantee will happen?
Someone will have either Mayfair or Park Lane (whichever is not the rare one) and put it on eBay/Facebook Marketplace etc offering to split the money 50/50.