60-90% of our communication is non-verbal however millions of people don’t think about this for interviews, meetings, presentations etc.
If you sell for a living then these tips can also really help you financially
Here are a few ways to improve your body language to improve your credibility:
- Align your body with the person you’re talking with
- A straight back, relaxed shoulders and a slight lean towards the person
- Arms never crossed (it subconsciously shows you’re hugging yourself for support)
- Use your hands to gesture when you speak, it improves your credibility
- A firm dry handshake, if you suffer from sweaty/clammy hands ensure you relax/pat dry
Just a quick awesome video to keep you engaged on the page
View post on imgur.com
- A gentle nod when the other person is speaking shows you’re listening (ensure you’re actually listening)
- Eye contact when speaking and listening but ensure you pause this when thinking of your next answer otherwise it can be creepy
- Slow your speech down by half – especially when we’re nervous we all speed up our speech. Keep reminding yourself (in your head) to slow it down. Take deeper breaths than normal to help slow this process.
- Act on others body language – if you sense they’re wanting to finish the meeting etc then act on that
- Taking notes during meetings will show you’re serious & engaged however it’s extremely important that you make as much eye contact as possible between writing
- One more for luck > Watch your ‘ums’ and ‘ahs’ – these are EXTREMELY off putting, especially for someone doing interviews